Saturday, April 28, 2007
Oh My Goodness!
Ok so, I have bedroom furniture that my oldest sister had growing up. Then she went to college and I had it growing up. Now it is DeLoy and I's furniture. It is outdated, faded, and needs to be refinished. So I thought...how easy, I will just slap a coat of finish on there and it will look awesome. Markie will sit in the family room and play while he watches me out the glass door. It is 5 hours into the process of staining...I WANT TO KILL MYSELF! When I entered the house for the millionth time to retrieve Markie off the top of the kitchen table with my bills in his mouth I noticed the crayon drawings all over my windows. What a delight! Last week I stripped the old finish and removed the ugly hard wear. It went rather well. But today is a whole different story! It is barely soaking in any color, it looks grainy, and the color is so bad. At lunch time I caved. The phone book was out and I was calling for estimates. Which were way out of my budget! SHOCKER! So what am I going to do??? Half of the stuff is a new hideous black color and the rest is a light tan. I was going for a really dark chocolate color. Any ideas or tips for you crafty experts? I know Carly has refinished some stuff. But have any of you? Please help me...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







7 comments:
Oh Michelle, I wish I could help you, or see what the problem is to begin with. Did you lightly sand it after you stripped it? Maybe the stripping didn't do an even job? I used a brush for my stain, did you? Oh how I wish I could help you. Maybe you could take a photo and bring it to Home Depot, where you got the stain. They might have some suggestions for you... Good luck Sista!
You poor thing. No advice from here. Too bad Conan and I just got rid of our spare bed. You wouldn't have wanted it anyway it was about as old as yours. If you attempt to do anything like that again, as long as I'm not working, I'll totally watch Markie for you. Don't go crazy!
A) You can not plan to do anything when you have a child. I don't follow this rule at times, and it always bites me in the BEHIND. Painfully, I might add. Now that Markie's mobile and all that jazz, deloy has to be home if you're planning to do anything big (or you pawn him off on a friend).
B) I think you're gonna have to re-sand, or just paint it. I don't get into stainingbut I've done it a couple of times, it's REALLY hard to get it even. I admire you for trying though. :)
My dad the handy carpenter might have some good advice for you. I will heave to ask him for you. I think the biggest thing is sanding it down the bed you can. I agree with Hilary, you night just have to paint it. Ask your Home Depot experts with paint works best though or research it good. You don't want that sucker chipping. That will bug you even more. Cal's bookshelf I sporay painted is chipping and it's not cool. So I defintiely don;t recomend spray paint.
Chelle! I had to laugh at your post! It is totally something I would do and Sienna is crazy like Markie! I can only imagine if I left her to roam while I was outside! haha- I say just paint it but remember to sand it or else you will have issues there too! When are you coming home? Love ya!
I can't believe you started it and did not call for help. I think you are going to have to sand it down or strip it again and just paint it, for the color that you want. Good luck and let me watch your boy, my girls love him
I got a lot of hand me downs and went for the shabby chic- paint in a fun color and then distressed it a bit with sandpaper.
Post a Comment